Tour de Langkawi


My first Tour of Langkawi saw some new experiences conquered, with the 1100km race being completed over the eight stages of racing.

Changing hotels every night was a task in itself, but with experience comes autonomous habits, making traveling and racing just simply flow. My tip is to be as neat as possible, not unpacking too much every night and keeping organized with your clothes on equipment.



The organization was fantastic, only a few crazy transfer convoys but we all made it safely to our destinations each stage.



We saw some impressive landscapes, especially the Langkawi Island which was my favorite location all week. If I were to holiday in Malaysia, I would come back here.



The racing was competitive everyday, no one really letting anyone ride away with a stage win, always fighting until the very end.



I was super impressed by my teammates, everyone with a job to do and we gave it a go everyday. I was second on the first stage and came close in a few others. I also got to spend the second stage wearing the Green leaders jersey, an added bonus and some publicity for the team going into the days race. I pulled my foot on stage six with only 150m to go, clear air in front and at the peak of a flawless team performance, so that was the biggest misfortune of the week for the team and I.  




Thankfully, no one hit the deck, which is always a good thing because no one likes cleaning wounds, plus seeing them left open at the buffet each day isn’t great either (take note, rider from Team Bardiani - dress your wounds mate).

The only ‘injury’ all week came from Brownie, at the airport when the trolley sent him over the bars courtesy of a speed bump. It was quite the laugh, sorry Brownie.



It was good to see Lachy hold on for 8th on the general classification, concluding this years Tour of Langkawi, we left with more positives than negatives.



A podium, one top five, four top 10’s and 8th overall on GC showed consistency at the very least in the 2.HC event.



I’m looking forward to a good block of training, fine-tuning the form before I join the Drapac Professional Cycling Team in Belgium, ahead of our first European races in France and Spain.


Comments

Popular Posts