2012 Dandenong Criterium

After my recent travels to New Zealand, my first race back was the Dandenong Open Criterium on Saturday 31st March. Each year, this event attracts many talented riders from across the state with the odd International entrant. Due to the current 2012 Track World Championships in Melbourne, the Chech National Team decided to take part in the race and add their nations talents to the strong field.

The course was shaped as a rectangle with a fast flat finish and a slight uphill the whole way along the back straight. With a strong head wind adding to the difficulty of the back straight, racing conditions were furious from the start. Positioning in the bunch was critical and I stayed up the front for the majority of the race to keep out of trouble and close to the action.
The Chech National Team and Drapac professional cycling team were both well represented and the ones to watch, so when both teams were represented in a break of 2 riders which broke clear of the bunch, it was a race for 3rd. Numerous riders tried to attack but these were all short-lived as the Drapac and Chech Teams controlled the front of the race.

Approaching the finish, my legs were feeling good and had been the whole race. It was a very tough battle at the front with riders fighting for position. I was 4th around the last corner and with 300m to go, it was a fast sprint to the finish line. I got 3rd in the bunch sprint and 5th in the race. I was pleased with my performance as I showed a good result in a race I wasn’t aiming to do well in. A busy schedule sees training and racing going up another level over the next few months.
Thanks to all my sponsors, family and coach for your individual part in my success to date.

Stay tuned for my next race report,

Cheers Brenton

Comments

Popular Posts